Summer is here and its arrival means warmer weather, more hours of daylight, and much-needed break travel! Before you hit the road, check these off of your to-do list:
- Check filters and fluids, including engine oil, power steering, and brake and transmission, as well as windshield washer solvent and antifreeze/coolant. Dirty air filters can waste gas and cause the engine to lose power.
- Check that all interior and exterior lighting is working properly and replace worn wiper blades so you can see clearly when driving at night and during rain showers.
- Check the brake system and make sure the battery connection is clean, tight, and corrosion-free.
- Check the hoses and belts and replace them if they become loose, cracked, brittle, frayed, or show signs of excessive wear as they are critical to the proper functioning of the electrical, air conditioning, power steering, and cooling systems.
- Check the tires, including tire pressure and tread. Underinflated tires reduce a vehicle’s fuel economy and uneven wear indicates a need for wheel alignment. Tires should also be checked for bulges and bald spots.
Having your vehicle thoroughly checked and taking steps to have auto repairs performed before the warm summer driving season will not only give you peace of mind but will also help avoid the inconvenience and potential safety hazards of breaking down when you’re miles from home. Most importantly this Summer, remember to have fun and be safe!